Welcome to the Town of Renfrew, Ontario - Photographs by J.J. Guy Longtin and A. J. Kent Tubman - Copyrights Retained.


Marriage License Information

Dogs and Cats

By-laws 17-2000 and 18-2000 require that all dogs and cats (including house cats) be licensed by their owners each year. A maximum of four (4) dogs are permitted per household. There is no limit on the number of cats.

Before March 31st tags may be purchased for $10 each at the Town Hall, 127 Raglan Street South. After March 31st, tags are $12.00 each. Failure to license each animal each year may result in a fine of $53.75.


Farmers Market


To permit open air sales of locally produced:

  1. Handicrafts and Arts
  2. Farm produce - excepting processed foods or frozen foods, excepting meat or meat products.


  1. Produce is to mean 'fresh' or 'raw' with the exception of preserves which are also home-made
  2. Local means within the geographic area of thirty (30) kilometre radius from the Town of Renfrew
  3. Local means that ownership and operation shall be within the geographic area as well.

Location and Times

  1. The Market Season will be June 1st to October 31st.
  2. Market day will be Saturday, only
  3. The Market will operate on Railway Street, from Raglan Street to the C.P.R. Station. Spaces will not be reserved but attained by on a first-come, first-served basis.


  1. All users of the Market area must be registered with the Renfrew Farmers' Market.
  2. Please contact the Renfrew Farmers' for more information at 613-432-8918.

 Lottery Licensing                                                                                           


The eligibility of your organization will be determined by the licensing office. The licensing authority will review all relevant documentation to determine eligibility. These decisions are based on what is considered charitable in law according to the Criminal Code of Canada.

Your organization may qualify for a lottery license if it provides a charitable service to Ontario Residents under one of these categories:

  • Relieve Poverty
  • Advance Religion
  • Advance Education
  • Benefit the community

The following pre-requisites are mandatory to be considered eligible for a lottery license.

  • Organizations must have been in existence for at least one (1) year before being considered eligible for lottery licenses.
  • The organization must have a place of business in Ontario, demonstrate that it is established to provide charitable services in Ontario and use proceeds for objects or purposes which benefit Ontario residents.

Lottery licensing refers to lottery schemes permitted by the license under the Criminal Code of Canada. Typically, these may include bingos, raffles, break open tickets and social gaming events held by charitable or religious organizations. Licensed charitable or religious organizations must conduct and manage their events in accordance with licensing policies and the terms and conditions of the licenses and fulfill all prescribed reporting requirements. It is illegal to print tickets, promote or conduct a charitable gaming event without a license.

Click here to go to the AGCO WEBSITE and read all the policies and procedures for lotteries.



A raffle is a lottery scheme where tickets are sold for a chance to win a prize in a draw.To qualify for a raffle license your organization must have a proven charitable mandate. Your application must be completed by two members of your organization and returned to the Treasury Department for review and approval. Please allow 3 business days for processing. The license fee is 3% of the value of the prizes.

Click HERE for the Town of Renfrew Questionnaire for a Lottery License
Click HERE for the Raffle License Application.

Click HERE for the Raffle Terms & Conditions
Click HERE for Raffle Lottery Report

The application must include the location, date and time of draw. Price of the tickets. Total number of tickets printed. Rules for the draw. The cutoff date for tickets sales. A complete list of prizes, with their full retail value (plus taxes) – attach to application if there is not enough room on form. (if your prize(s) are donated a prize value is still mandatory). In the case of 50/50 draws the estimated maximum value of the prize is required.


Break Open Ticket (Nevada) is a game of chance to win instant prizes by revealing a specified arrangement of numbers or symbols. Prizes may be instant prizes or a chance to win prizes determined by a subsequent event.

Break Open Ticket License Application Checklist

  • Completed Questionnaire (Required Yearly)
  • License Fee
  • The fee for a Break Open Ticket License is 3% of the total prizes to be awarded. (cheque payable to Town of Renfrew or cash)
  • Completed Application Form
  • Copy of preceding and current operating budget, which includes all sources of revenues and expenses
  • Copy of proposed lottery budget
  • Type and style or styles of tickets to be sold (ticket samples not required)
  • The organization's system for keeping track of sales and inventory
  • A list of bona fide members assisting with the Break Open Ticket administration/sales
  • A copy of the Break Open Ticket Seller Registration must be presented for your file
  • Governing Documents, constitution and/or by-laws, letters patent, charter, trust deed, memorandum of association, signed as required.
  • Detailed Outline of programs/services; What they are, how delivered to clients, specific costs, supporting materials
  • Organization's Current operating budget
  • Organization's verified financial statements for the last fiscal year (Required Yearly)
  • List of the Board of Directors (Required Yearly)
  • Membership list (if applicable)
  • Organization's Annual Report (if applicable)
  • Latest Report to the Public Guardian and Trustee (if applicable)
  • Revenue Canada notification of registration letter (If Registered)

The licensee may lease or rent break open ticket dispensers provided it complies with the requirements and standards for devices, is approved by the Registrar and is manufactured by a gaming equipment manufacturer and supplied by a gaming equipment supplier or gaming equipment manufacturer registered under the Gaming Control Act, 1992 and Regulations.

The licensee shall provide a licensing authority with a financial report outlining the results of the lottery on the prescribed form in the prescribed time frame.

Click HERE for the Town of Renfrew Questionnaire for a Lottery License
Click HERE for the Break Open Ticket License Application

Click HERE for the Break Open Terms & Conditions.
Click HERE for Break Open Ticket Report


To qualify for a bingo lottery license your organization must have a proven charitable mandate. The fee for a Bingo license is 3% of the prize board.

Click HERE for the Town of Renfrew Questionnaire for a Lottery License
Click HERE for the Bingo License Application.

Click HERE for the Bingo Open Terms & Conditions.
Click HERE for Policy and Procedures for Lottery Events

The Town clerk serves the public directly by issuing Marriage Licenses. There are certain stipulations and requirements for marriages in Ontario and for the issuance of a Marriage license in the Town of Renfrew. Please review these requirements carefully.

Please be advised that in order to apply for a Marriage License both individuals must present their Birth Certificates and Government issued Photo Identifications.

Please be advised that the expected time frame from dropping off the Marriage License Application to receiving the completed Marriage License is 5 business days.
Refreshment Vehicles

By-law No. 36-2013 regulates and licenses the operation of refreshment vehicles in the Town of Renfrew. Refreshment vehicles are defined as "shall include a Chip Wagon, Mobile Canteen and Refreshment Cart as defined by this by-law".

Any person wishing to operate refreshment vehicle in the Town of Renfrew must first obtain a license from the Town Clerk. To obtain a license, the following must be submitted for approval:

  • A completed application (available at the Clerk's Office)
  • A Site Plan showing details of the proposed site
  • Provisions for garbage and recycling
  • Copy of "Certificate of Liability Insurance" 
  • Written approval of the Renfrew County and District Health Unit
  • Written approval of the Fire Chief (or designate)
  • Written approval of the owner of the property 

Annual licenses may be obtained for the following, as per Schedule "A" of
By-Law 36-2013

1. Chip Wagon                $300.00 per vehicle, per location
2. Mobile Canteen            $250.00 per vehicle
3. Refreshment Cart         $ 75.00  per cart

Further information about refreshment vehicle licensing is available from the Clerk's Department.

Click here for the Refreshment Vehicle License Application


By-law Nos. 28-73 and 16-81 require that all persons carrying on the business of conveying passengers for hire in the Town of Renfrew shall be licensed to do so by the municipality. Taxi cab owners, drivers, as well as vehicles must be licensed each year.

To obtain the appropriate licenses, vehicles used as taxicabs must pass an annual safety inspection and be properly insured. All drivers must possess a valid Ontario Driver's License.

Further information about taxi licensing, including fees, is available from the Clerk's Department.

Transient Traders

A transient trader is defined as:

a) "Goes from door to door and/or has a temporary structure to sell goods, wares or merchandise, or who carries and displays samples, patterns or specimens of any goods, wares or merchandise for which immediate sales are made and for which orders are taken with delivery to follow".

Individuals wishing to engage in the transient sale of goods within the municipality must obtain a transient trader's license from the Clerk's Department prior to engaging in any business activity.

The prescribed fee for a Transient Trader's License is as follows:

Seasonal (April - October)     $300.00

Annual                                 $500.00

Application forms and Licenses are available during regular business hours at the Clerk's Office, 127 Raglan Street South, Renfrew, Ontario, K7V 1P8.

By-law No. 63-2013 governs the activities of Transient Traders who are engaged in
business activity within the Town of Renfrew. 

Door-to-Door Salespeople who are registered with the Ontario Government must apply for a Transient Trader License to operate within the Town of Renfrew.

Click here to view By-Law 63-2013.

Click here to download a Transient Trader Application Form


Quick Links

Dogs and Cats

Farmers Market



Mobile Canteen


Transient Trader


Town of Renfrew
127 Raglan Street South, Renfrew, Ontario K7V 1P8
Telephone: 613-432-4848 ~ Fax: 613-432-7245

Site Design and Administration by www.tubmanmarketing.com
SmilingHost.com provides Internet & Email Hosting